Saturday, January 25, 2020

It Starts with "Several Years Ago, We "Cut the Cable"...". YouTube and Me: Part 1.

Separating ourselves from Cable TV seemed "edgy" at the time. We were tired of the ever increasing bills vs. the declining quality of information and entertainment available.  We can rent or borrow DVD's for movies.     Hubsy misses sports offerings somewhat, but not much.

I can't remember precisely when or how we began to lean heavily on YouTube for diversion and information: probably it was the content available during the eruption of the Hawaii volcano in 2018; we were "glued" to the reports from USGS and the stunning videos of gushing lava every evening as we ate our dinner.

We expanded our Nature viewing to other volcanoes, wildlife, undersea, etc.  This was in the days when we mainly watched together on a pretty good screen in the basement. I don't usually mind watching something Hubsy will enjoy--"togetherness, etc."

At some point, Hubsy visited relatives and Colorado for a couple of weeks; on my own, I began to shop the vast amount of content available on YouTube. I like crafts and sewing tutorials; I like to watch people refinish old furniture---but I prefer a less scripted approach than the usual "canned" presentations you see on Public TV or Cable. I like to see "real" people doing things they are passionate about, in their own way.

News, Current Events and expanded discussions!! Podcast shows! All by myself, as a little old lady in a suburban basement, I found Joe Rogan: he's edgy, many of his guests I don't care about; but when his program is interesting, I am glued to it. His podcasts are 3 hours long!  Many national and international news networks have live, 24-hour a day content. Take your pick.

Not long after that, we got a much better TV to replace an old clunker in the bedroom. A new era in entertainment, education and escapism! 

I'm shocked at how many people my age are still harnessed to "newpapers", "magazines", cable TV and so on. They either complain about it or choose to "die on that hill".      I am also aware that the Blog that I maintain is an antiquated format; only 10 years old and who reads blogs anymore??? I was not raised with a video camera in my face; I am not comfortable seeing myself on the Sam's Club video. I could never perform a YouTube!

Next time, I will reveal my favorite YouTube programs and performers, not that anyone cares because, obviously, we should all be curating our own content--as we are free to do. What a world.

End of Part 1.


No comments:

Post a Comment

To Remember Dad's 103rd Birth Anniversary, Something Different

 My Grandparents on my Dad's side were both "bonus babies", kids who were born to much older parents, long after they expected...