Monday, July 3, 2017

Update on the "Hotel"


A total of 11 caterpillars were found and brought inside away from the greedy beaks of the birds.

I was concerned the over-crowding would result in caterpillar fights, but they get along nicely together. Ignoring one another.

I clean the tank frequently. 7 caterpillars are actively eating now. 4 have purged, found a comfortable twig and formed their cocoons. That is a very interesting process to watch, too.

In a few days, we will have lovely butterflies to release. I will try to photo record them. I have plenty of nectar rich blooms to support them once they are free. I hope they hang around a while.

The only "down side": the messy tank and the overpowering "dill" smell. Otherwise, a fun experiment.




No comments:

Post a Comment

To Remember Dad's 103rd Birth Anniversary, Something Different

 My Grandparents on my Dad's side were both "bonus babies", kids who were born to much older parents, long after they expected...