Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Still Showing Off My Rome Photos: Santa Maria Maggiore




Mosaic murals located on the second story walkway or balcony to the front of the Church.



Small individual mosaic medallion details bordering the mural's scene. Each different.


Get ready for the Bernini Spiral Staircase....


The tour guide told us Bernini was 17 when he designed this staircase.  Clone Him!!


Brass knob held in the hands of many, many Popes of the Church over the centuries.  Did I touch it too? Or just take a photo.  Sometimes, while in Rome, I felt shy and in awe of the artifacts.


Oh, Grand Basilica!


The front entrance of the Church. We toured the second level of the portico (?).  I have mentioned before that I am not a Catholic, but I was greatly touched and impressed by every single church we visited. Some, like this, were grand and glorious; others were pure and simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To Remember Dad's 103rd Birth Anniversary, Something Different

 My Grandparents on my Dad's side were both "bonus babies", kids who were born to much older parents, long after they expected...