Saturday, August 15, 2020

What I've been doing? Gardening, some travel, reading, sewing, keeping house, walks in the neighborhood.

I hope this iris comes back next Spring. Savannah Sunrise-or ...set. Photo does not do it justice. 

Some of the usual day lily suspects in the yard. I spend some time in yard most mornings before it gets too hot. 





 I finished reading Faulkner's "The Hamlet". The trouble with Faulkner is: no matter how depressing the story or what a terrible time he gives his characters, his writing was so excellent that it is difficult to select another book to read.  A "go-to" author for me was always John Le Carre.

With "The Mission Song" it did not work. I finished the book--only "just". Yes it had points of interest. I have visited You Tube videos about various subjects concerning central Africa, D. R. Congo, Rwanda, etc. Can't forget news reports on bloody, gory genocides of recent decades.  I would never consider a visit to Africa for any reason. Too far, too long, too hot, too strange, I would not like the food. Maybe the fruit and flowers.

We traveled by car to Hopewell NJ to visit one of our sons and his wife and dog. It was a refreshing trip. We needed to visit our son, who we had not seen for a year.   Next we will need to find the strength to visit the other one in NC.  Not til "it cools down" in so many ways. 

For a global pandemic, (and us being 72) you'd think I be more frightened of the disease; I'm nervous about the social unrest (this seems worse than the 1960's; more intentional). I don't even know anybody who has COVID, though I've heard some 2nd hand reports.

I have picked up a Mark Twain book about his trip around the world at the equator. I'm not an actual fan of Twain, haven't read any since high school, etc.  The volume I am reading was handed down from my 2nd Great Grandfather and bears his signature so I wonder how many of his household may have read the book.  It's a little slow, the humor is not very funny: but Faulkner liked Mark Twain, so I'll give it a go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To Remember Dad's 103rd Birth Anniversary, Something Different

 My Grandparents on my Dad's side were both "bonus babies", kids who were born to much older parents, long after they expected...