Thursday, January 7, 2010

Hubs' sister, Piper of Tamahay is failing fast...

I opened the blog with a post on a very special lady, my sister-in-law. At that time, it happened that we had visited her as she was treated at St. Mary's in Rochester, MN. Her condition never improved much. ..... all those years ago, Hubsy seemed to bring technicolor into my life...I imagine his sister brought the same to all she touched. "Her breathing has slowed" is what they tell me, now. She was a great teacher, in Park Rapids MN. A Pioneer, as well. An advocate for abandoned animals, a strong horse-woman. Well, Ellie ( a favorite pet dog) is likely looking forward to her company again. I'm honored she is my sister-in-law". I imagine that on the other side of the River, Reeds, Sillimans, Beslers and so on are assembling since they know she is coming soon.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Barbara
    My name is Alex (or Razzle as they know me at Tamahay)I met Piper at Tamahay when I was 10 years old. I haven't gone to Tamahay for some time and have lost touch with my fellow Tamahayers, until today when I managed to get my ancient computer to let me access face book and long story short I just found out about her passing. I decided to Google Tamahay for the billionth time and happened upon your blog. I read this and your earlier post about Piper and I would just like to say that you are absolutely right. I can't speak for others who knew her but Piper changed my life for the better and I will always remember her and all she did for me. I often think of her, when I am trying to decide weather or not to do a certain thing I find myself thinking "If I were to do this at Tamahay would I be called into the staff room for a private meeting with Piper?" and when I would have to make speeches for school I would picture myself as a Tamahay staff member standing up to make an announcement after dinner in the lodge and I clear all thoughts from my mind aside from one: Be like Piper. You said "she answers the nurse's question about the level of post-surgical pain--a quietly whispered 4 (on the 1 to 10 scale). We gasp; that's about 13 for the
    rest of us!" that was Piper 100%. In your few paragraphs you have described the Piper that I knew and will always love to a T. Thank you so much for that. Tough she may be gone in the physical sense Piper will always remain one of my greatest role models.

    ReplyDelete

To Remember Dad's 103rd Birth Anniversary, Something Different

 My Grandparents on my Dad's side were both "bonus babies", kids who were born to much older parents, long after they expected...