Sunday, April 28, 2013

Larry McMurtry....

folks, Larry McMurtry has written more books than most people these days have ever read! My personal favorite of his--and practically any other-- is "Lonesome Dove". If you have missed this book, it is a great loss. The TV miniseries was a pretty good re-creation. Not perfect. The book was damn near perfect.
I mention all this because a month or so ago I finished his "Buffalo Girls". One reviewer called this "Lonesome Jane", since it is about the legendary American personality, Calamity Jane. It was a good read.
More than that--a little bell rang in my head about the fact that I had never gotten around to viewing the HBO series Deadwood. Hubs and I are done with the first season now, having gotten the DVD's from our public library. We are loving it, swear words and violence and all. Thanks, Larry McMurtry; thanks David Milch, etc. Thanks, Wild Bill Hickock, Thanks Martha Jane Canary!!! Looking forward to finding the 2nd and 3rd seasons. Bring it on!

No comments:

Post a Comment

To Remember Dad's 103rd Birth Anniversary, Something Different

 My Grandparents on my Dad's side were both "bonus babies", kids who were born to much older parents, long after they expected...