Tuesday, October 15, 2013

The Source: Part 1...

Recently I mentioned I started reading "The Source", a 1960's saga by James A. Michener. Today I finished the first long chapter. The plot centers on an archaeology dig in Israel in the 1960's; and this author plays it pretty straight. No Indiana Jones stunts. Main characters are introduced, the dig has begun and artifacts are discovered. Presumably, these artifacts will figure later in the book as the history of the site is revealed in later chapters. Two things I'm not enjoying so far: the elementary level treatment of the Nation of Israel and the Jewish people, religion and culture; and the marginalization of women. Maybe because the book is somewhat dated. Truth is, I tried a Michener novel years ago (Alaska) and couldn't finish it. Why am I doing this to myself?

No comments:

Post a Comment

To Remember Dad's 103rd Birth Anniversary, Something Different

 My Grandparents on my Dad's side were both "bonus babies", kids who were born to much older parents, long after they expected...