Sunday, April 27, 2014

Naturally, I Read a Few Books....

I've mentioned that I try to read works by popular writers whose books, for whatever reason, I've missed sampling: this time I picked up a copy of John Grisham's "The Painted House". Though the story is not typical of the Grisham's legal-thriller plot lines, I enjoyed it. Told through the voice of it's main character as he remembers the events of a pivotal summer in his life when he was seven years old, the story made me think of "To Kill a Mockingbird" or "Christmas Story" or William Faulkner's "The Reivers". Populated by a rich array of funny, strange, mean, sad and sometimes frightening characters, the action goes from high humor to to scary and tense scenes; in other words, a very enjoyable book. I read this book on the train during my commute to and from work in the city; as I read, I felt totally removed from my seat on the train and transplanted to a farm in Arkansas in 1952, a part of the sights, sounds and fragrances of a rural life not so long ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To Remember Dad's 103rd Birth Anniversary, Something Different

 My Grandparents on my Dad's side were both "bonus babies", kids who were born to much older parents, long after they expected...