Friday, October 24, 2014

What Would (Great-Great) Grandmother Say?

This is a photo of an old photograph that hangs now in the house that you see in the picture, currently occupied by my cousin and his family. The house on the farm we visited. (it has a glaring reflection, I know). The baby is my Grandfather, whose boyhood home this was. His father is the younger man, standing. The older couple are my 2g-gp's and they all lived in the house. Lots of family members were conceived, born and died in that house. The baby is two or three years old--making the year 1897 or 98. The older gent passed away in 1899. Family lore says the widow wore Victorian black mourning til she died about 1931. Certainly, she rode in automobiles and trains, but lived quite well without all the modern conveniences. She was a teenage girl at the time of the Civil War.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To Remember Dad's 103rd Birth Anniversary, Something Different

 My Grandparents on my Dad's side were both "bonus babies", kids who were born to much older parents, long after they expected...