Monday, April 6, 2015

Art is Supposed to Challenge our Thinking, as well as entertain...



I was completely unfamiliar with the Grohmann before our visit--we came to see a temporary exhibit of railroad graphics. As I strolled among the galleries of the permanent collection of these interesting industrial landscapes, I realized many of the paintings could only have been commissioned by the noxious and deadly regime that controlled much of Europe and tried to take over the world in the 1940's! The paintings are generally from the 1930's, before the true evil was generally understood.
My Goodness; a unique and slightly creepy experience--yet I am glad for the openness to exhibit such subjects without glorifying them. Usually, I credit art works on the 'Blog; in this case I decided not to mention specific artists or subjects--the museums collection can be explored on-line.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To Remember Dad's 103rd Birth Anniversary, Something Different

 My Grandparents on my Dad's side were both "bonus babies", kids who were born to much older parents, long after they expected...