Thursday, July 23, 2015

Two by John LeCarre

Earlier this year I read "The Russia House". First, I will say that I did not like the movie, which I saw when it came out years ago. That may have colored my enjoyment of the book? The plot seemed "routine" and not very interesting.

More recently, I finally got around to reading the classic, epic "The Spy Who Came in from the Cold", published in the early 1960's. I can't tell you what a block-buster novel that was! This was the book that introduces the best "little grey man" master spy character ever, George Smiley, in a supporting but vital role. (I love the character. George Smiley. He's not.) The writing is pure and clean and tightly edited. It is not a "feel good" cozy book; but any tangled, confused emotion you have as you read seems perfectly intended!

With "Russia House", if I were a skeptic (and I am) I'd suppose it was written to inspire a screen play to employ Sean Connery one more time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To Remember Dad's 103rd Birth Anniversary, Something Different

 My Grandparents on my Dad's side were both "bonus babies", kids who were born to much older parents, long after they expected...