Sunday, January 24, 2016

I expect too much of popular, entertainment level fiction...

Three books I finished recently, in ascending order of preference:

I picked up (from my local paperback book exchange) a Stephen Hunter 'Bob Lee Swagger Novel' called "I, Sniper", a 2009 publication. 1960's era, left wing, high profile political activists are gunned down in public by an expert marksman using an extremely accurate, long range gun. I was amazed how closely the profiles of the victims fit with real world Jane Fonda (including the nasty, rich ex) and the now middle-aged, college professor bombers from Chicago (one mistake missed by proof readers referred to the man as "Bill", though the character's name was "Jack"). It was a page-turner, but not high quality. I'm very touchy about editing.

Martha Grimes "Help the Poor Stuggler". Usually I like her stories; this one just wasn't my favorite.

"The Chamber" by John Grisham. More of a quest for social change (stop the death penalty) than effort to entertain. So there was no mystery how it would end. His "The Painted House" was so much better as a fully developed novel, probably a little 'American classic'. Grisham has one more chance with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To Remember Dad's 103rd Birth Anniversary, Something Different

 My Grandparents on my Dad's side were both "bonus babies", kids who were born to much older parents, long after they expected...