Friday, June 22, 2018

Books Books Books..


Too busy to keep up "reading" reports: I'll catch up now.

"The Hanged Man of Saint-Pholien" by George Simenon. (Translation by Linda Coverdale). The prolific Belgian crime fiction writer of the early and mid-20th Century. His signature character is Inspector Maigret. This novel of written in 1930.

I am always aware when I read a translation that I am not actually reading the original work. If I read another translator's product on this same novel, it would be a different book.

The cover photo on the Penguin Classic paperback cover (by Harry Gruyaert/Magnum Photos) compelled me to read the novel. In my late teens, I read another of Simenon's Maigret novels, but I can't remember the title.

In this novel, Maigret (out of his district of authority and nation, even) notices suspicious activity of a fellow traveler on the train; his illegal pursuit drives the man to suicide. Shocking. But a crime network is uncovered, etc.) Mainly, I admire the evocative settings his author presents; very pre-WW2  Noire. But likely this is not enough to make me read another of these works. Too much else to read, too little time.

C. S. Forester's "Hornblower and the Atropos". A solid swashbuckler adventure of the British sailor's first encounter with Sea Captaincy in the British Navy in the 18th Century. Interesting information about heavy masted sailing ships along with an entertaining little plot.

Also, I have discovered the writings of Winston Churchill in the form of " A History of the English Speaking Peoples  Volume One  The Birth of Britain". I plan to read the 2nd Volume soon.  Churchill, like Teddy Roosevelt, was a politician and statesman who was able to support his family with fine quality and prolific published works through his live. I can't wait to read more!

The History is a solid survey from the earliest days of Britain, the invasion of the Romans and so on. This volume ends with the assent of Henry VII. Churchill had a staff of researchers, naturally, but he presented the material in a style so you feel he is speaking to you and a small group--perhaps with drinks and snacks available. Much of the work was completed before WW2, but shelved till the mid-1950's for publication; but the writing still feels modern and fresh.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To Remember Dad's 103rd Birth Anniversary, Something Different

 My Grandparents on my Dad's side were both "bonus babies", kids who were born to much older parents, long after they expected...