Tuesday, June 4, 2019

Finally: Rome. All my life I've wanted to go to Rome. Part One of Many.



Above, the Ocular of the Pantheon in rain. Happily, this was our first "sight seeing" adventure in Rome, on May 18, in a light cool rain. The haze around the Ocular is the impression of the rain.
Perfect.


I planned the entire trip myself and I was happy and satisfied with how it turned out. The air travel, hotel, etc. went perfectly to plan. I was disappointed with Lufthansa flight from Chicago to Frankfurt: very very cramped seat, broken arm rest, terrible terrible food (not just "airline terrible" but "dog food terrible") Lufthansa from Frankfurt to Rome was much better! United Flights home were much better.

We stayed in Trastevere at Kiara Guesthouse, which I found on Expedia. We had a small apartment for our 2 week stay. It was safe, clean, comfortable and quiet. (Any noises were brief, happy or interesting noises.) The building was old, solid and interesting, with classic court yard.  Kiara is a real person: lovely, gracious, responsive to queries and very nice.


Street art and ads were everywhere in Rome, as was (too much) graffiti! 


Door ways and building entrances were routinely evocative and dignified. I took about 900 photos.


I love this one: typical narrow back street lined with apartment or hotel blocks. People park their cars and motor bikes literally everywhere. As Americans, we have been taught not to Jay-Walk. Well, in Italy, if you don't jay walk, you will stand there forever. You make eye contact with the drivers and just proceed into traffic! (Major intersections have ped traffic signals, of course.) Magically, cars stop for you.    Now that I am back in the 'States, I must unlearn this technique!

No comments:

Post a Comment

To Remember Dad's 103rd Birth Anniversary, Something Different

 My Grandparents on my Dad's side were both "bonus babies", kids who were born to much older parents, long after they expected...