Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Ostica Antica: Part 2--Bricks Bricks Bricks


Millions of ancient, handmade bricks. I'm sure the Romans builders must have known processes to speed the work; molds, patterns or cutting techniques? But I was fascinated.  I loved the color--a deeper red than these photos appear.


Texture. Really, I was looking for a thumb print or other marks of the Ancient human makers of these bricks.


Uniqueness. Each brick is a creation unto itself.


Some of the bricks appeared more uniform; better quality than others. Like all things people make.


Interesting surface on the one above.  Also, I looked for a scratched-in message. Didn't find any, but didn't look all day; spent a good half-hour examining bricks.


Never meant to be seen: the bricks were meant to be covered with facing stone like marble; long gone.


Like tiny caves in landscape. It's only a matter of scale?


Eventually, I had to stop looking for the Roman Slave "Kilroy" and go on to the Museum.


Often, I am the shallowest of tourists: ask my husband; all I want to do is go find a cup of coffee.
Other times, I obsess over some small detail, important only to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment

To Remember Dad's 103rd Birth Anniversary, Something Different

 My Grandparents on my Dad's side were both "bonus babies", kids who were born to much older parents, long after they expected...