Monday, July 1, 2019

"Unknown Roman": The Capitoline Museum--or as the Romans say: Musei Capitolini


The majority of the ancient Roman statues and busts on exhibit anywhere are not identifiable; so much time has passed and abuse to the artifacts has occurred. "Unknown Roman" is the label you mostly see.   For myself, I cannot see enough of these sculpted portraits; I don't care who the person "was named" when he or she was alive; an artist captured the likeness, the expression. And centuries later, we can marvel at the result.


Amazing, I say. I have read that in Ancient times, these likenesses were painted in bright colors.


I believe I prefer the way we see them now--or maybe it just "looks right" to us now?

Who was she? She was rich, she was probably noble. She shows little expression. It is good to see the busts in pristine condition, even if only due to conservation by experts.


A grave box of a couple, with evocative images of the trails and triumphs of their lives.


Strong leader? Even if we think we know who it is, we could be wrong.


Revered elder? Is that evidence of wounds he received in this life (on our right, through his eye) or damage to the bust later? "Known Only to God" might be a way to think of them.


Difficult for the young to show much expression in the sculptures---same as in live?





I did not take enough photos in the Capitoline; it is large, with varied exhibits: Ruins and sculptures from Ancient Rome and magnificent 16th Century rooms, paintings, so much more. We "saw" it all, we slowly walked through every room. There are rooms full of busts or "heads" lined up on tiered shelves so you can sit and contemplate each face. The only hint we have for most is the skill of the artist to "show us who they were".

No comments:

Post a Comment

To Remember Dad's 103rd Birth Anniversary, Something Different

 My Grandparents on my Dad's side were both "bonus babies", kids who were born to much older parents, long after they expected...