Friday, August 21, 2009

High Summertime around the backyard birdbath...

I think flower gardening is "in my dna"; my grandmother always had perennials. She learned from her Aunt Emma; Aunt Emma learned from her Aunt Amelia, it seems. My garden gene
kicked in late, so I learned from my neighbor; my yard is like an
overflow lot for items she needs to divide. Mostly, I love the color that starts in early March with the Snowdrops and ends about November with whatever or what-have-you that manages
to hang in there and give us one more bloom. The various perennial seeds provide the local birds with lots of food; sunflower heads are a favorite of the goldfinches, for example.
It really helps to have a continual "drip" of fresh water in the birdbath.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To Remember Dad's 103rd Birth Anniversary, Something Different

 My Grandparents on my Dad's side were both "bonus babies", kids who were born to much older parents, long after they expected...