Saturday, April 24, 2010

Another little Science Experiment...

...last summer, I hybridized all the daylilies in the yard, in all different "crosses"; had good sucess producing seeds. Before that, I hybridized all my bearded irises, as well; with limited results--only a couple of the "crosses" produced seeds. But I Googled around and found some simple instructions to get the seeds ready to grow. (Basically, you just plant them in a bed or a big pot in soil and leave them outside at the mercy of the elements all winter and wait a while til they germinate.) I was just about to conclude this wasn't going to work, or my seeds weren't viable when up they popped a week ago. You have a wait about two years before you learn what flowers you have helped along.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To Remember Dad's 103rd Birth Anniversary, Something Different

 My Grandparents on my Dad's side were both "bonus babies", kids who were born to much older parents, long after they expected...