Friday, February 21, 2014

"Verbiage By the Pound" by James A. Michener....

Not really; I finally finished reading "The Source". I've nibbled at it when I didn't have anything else to read, since last October--give or take a month of bronchitis. I looked forward to reading about an archaeology dig in Israel, fictitious or not. Elements of the historical segments were very interesting--the Crusaders, the Turks, etc. The present-time "frame story" of the modern archaeologists seemed light and silly. I should remember the book was written in the 1960's; maybe a bit dated by now. Could have used another edit. Also, the characters of the book seemed mostly flat and monochromatic; even with a long novel of 1,000+ pages, this is not necessary. "Lonesome Dove" by Larry McMurtry, for example. The goal was to finish a Michener novel; I accomplished that, now I can move on to more entertaining books.

No comments:

Post a Comment