Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Come Inside the Rookery Building in Chicago....

 As I mentioned before, my father's business office was located in this building in the mid-to-late 1960's. This ornate and sumptuous lobby you see here is entirely different from the picture I would have taken back then, when it was just a tired, grimy, 80 year old hulk of an out-dated structure.  In those days, many grand old Chicago buildings were torn down. In the 1980's, the building was completely renovated, cleaned and reconditioned. A fabulous architectural jewel once again.

Part of a famous staircase, which is difficult to visit now.  As a kid, I would take friends up to see it and actually climbed the entire way up to the top, perhaps 10 stories.

 Intricate, ornate moaic floor tile; cleaned and restored--the camera doesn't do them justice.


More details....

No comments:

Post a Comment

To Remember Dad's 103rd Birth Anniversary, Something Different

 My Grandparents on my Dad's side were both "bonus babies", kids who were born to much older parents, long after they expected...