Saturday, May 28, 2011

Wish I'd taken a few More Photos...

 ...since I visited last, there are many additions, including a place were old farm implements and other 19th century bits are collecting. This is an old sawmill, Uncle R told me. Probably, these will end up in a future exhibit.
Originally, the farm was the home of the Kennicutt family, early settlers to our area. Their son, Robert, was an early pioneer explorer of Alaska; he died there at age 30 in 1865.  But his life was well documented in a new archive building with his collections and writings. He was picturesque and a little strange. I'm surprised there's not a movie about him. A replica of his skull is in the archive building--the original is in the Smithsonian, they say.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To Remember Dad's 103rd Birth Anniversary, Something Different

 My Grandparents on my Dad's side were both "bonus babies", kids who were born to much older parents, long after they expected...