Monday, October 3, 2011

Furniture Painting: A Meander...

 I had this little hall table; the usual story: $2.00 at a garage sale in 1982 or similar. I just slapped on some "harvest gold" 1970's paint we happened to have around....

...so this time I had an inspiration: Colors and patterns of Mackinzie-Childs and this little green console table by Ultimate Accents. And please remember, I haven't even seen a paint brush in 36 years. I sanded, I cleaned, I used my tack cloth, then primed and sanded and cleaned some more. I used my new best friend Martha Stewart's Hummingbird Blue Satin finish for the legs, a Glidden bone white satin on the top. Then I went to town with little bottles of craft paint for the decoration on the edge. Free-hand. My 63 year old hands are a little shakey, I learned. Maybe this will improve with practice?

 I took a big chance and applied a glaze of my own concocting with acrylic medium, a bit of aqua and brown craft paint for a thin wash over the whole thing.  It is drying and curing in the garage, where I won't see it tonight and get discouraged....
I plan to distress it a bit where it seems right. Then a couple of coats of clear satin acrylic finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To Remember Dad's 103rd Birth Anniversary, Something Different

 My Grandparents on my Dad's side were both "bonus babies", kids who were born to much older parents, long after they expected...