Saturday, March 3, 2012

A Book to Read, Finally....

...for months, I've read this and that, but nothing that I could get lost in; but I found a novel by Penelope Lively called The Photograph (ironically enough that such a title would appeal to a photoblogger). A  widower, professor of landscape history (a British thing, I guess), accidentally finds a photo of his late wife while he is rummaging among his own papers for needed material. The photograph would suggest that she, at some point, had an affair with her sister's husband many years before. Inquiring scientist that he is, he feels compelled to learn the details. The writing of the complex story is simple and sublime; no car chases or shoot-outs, but intense emotion and even some humor.   Oh, and there is gardening, too. One of the main characters is a Martha Stewart-like figure. That's why the garden gnome is pictured.   Further thought: the absence of faith, belief in a higher calling, Creator or God. Not a failing of the author--but the characters are people either focused on career/accomplishment/goals or else people adrift and searching. I plan to read more of her work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To Remember Dad's 103rd Birth Anniversary, Something Different

 My Grandparents on my Dad's side were both "bonus babies", kids who were born to much older parents, long after they expected...